Sustainable Development Goals –Introduction In September 2015, 193
member States of the United Nations adopted 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to make our world more prosperous,inclusive, sustainable and resilient. These SDGs represent an unprecedented opportunity for institutions, companies, organizations and societies to align their
own sustainability indicators with broader societal goals.
The SDGs provide both a stimulus and a framework for corporate sustainability efforts, hence to provides a platform for social & business leaders to use the SDGs as their strategic north star in setting sustainability targets in their own institutions, Companies, organizations, and societies.
Creating collaborative and multi stakeholder initiatives of institutions,organizations and societies to tackle systematic challenges like climate change,rising inequality and exploitation of non-renewable resources to work together for a better future is required in achieving SDGs
Seventeen SDGs are:
1. NO POVERTY– End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. ZERO HUNGER– End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition
and promote sustainable agriculture
3. GOOD HEALTH & WELLBEING-Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being
for all at all ages
4. QUALITY EDUCATION-Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and
promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
5. GENDER EQUALITY-Achieve gender equality and empower all women and
6. CLEAN WATER & SANITATION – Ensure availability and sustainable
management of water and sanitation for all.
7. AFFORDABLE & CLEAN ENERGY – Ensure access to affordable, reliable,
sustainable and modern energy for all.
8. DECENT WORK & ECONOMIC GROWTH – Promote sustained, inclusive and
sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work
9. INDUSTRY, INNOVATION & INFRASTRUCTURE – Build resilient infrastructure,
promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
10. REDUCED INEQUALITIES – Reduce inequality within and among countries.
11. SUSTAINABLE CITIES & COMMUNITIES – Make cities and human settlements
inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
12. RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION & PRODUCTION – Ensure sustainable
consumption and production patterns.
13. CLIMATE ACTION- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its
14. LIFE BELOW WATER- Conserve and sustainability use the oceans, seas and
marine resources for sustainable development
15. LIFE ON LAND- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial
ecosystems, sustainability manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and
reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
16. PEACE & JUSTICE- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable
development, provide access to justice for all and build effective accountable and
inclusive institutions at all levels.
17. PARTNERSHIP FOR GOALS- Strengthen the means of implementation and
revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
5Ps of Sustainable Development
Sustainable Development Goals Citizens Forum of Sri Lanka (SDGCFSL)
After successfully conducting nine provincial consultative forums in all 9 Provinces in Sri Lanka in year
2015, finally SUNFO facilitated a full day consultative workshop of Civil Society Leaders with
representatives from UN, Government of Sri Lanka and Corporate Sector together as a National
Consultations for incoming Global Goals after 2015 at SEDEC/CARITAS Auditorium, Colombo 8, Sri Lanka
on 24 September, 2015.
As an outcome of this workshop “ Sustainable Development Goals Citizens Forum of Sri Lanka
(SDGCFSL) was inaugurated. SDGFSL involved in SDG Awareness programs, campaigns for SDGs and
facilitating more citizens to involved in SDG actions.
Sustainable Development Goals Women’s Platform of Sri Lanka (SDGWFSL)
Parallel to the “International Women’s Day “on March 8, 2016 SUNFO hosted a National women’s Dialogue “ on SDGs at the Auditorium of the National Museum of Sri Lanka. Hon. Mrs. Sumedha G.Jayasena MP, Deputy Minister of Sustainable Development of the Government of Sri Lanka graced the event as the Chief Guest while representatives from all society segments and districts of Sri Lanka participated for this inaugural event.
Sustainable Development Goals Youth Network of Sri Lanka (SDGYNSL)
On International Youth Day 2017 SUNFO facilitated the process of creating Sustainable Development Goals Youth Network of Sri Lanka (SDGYNSL) in a ceremony at Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall, BMICH, Colombo 7, Sri Lanka with the participation of Youth Leaders from 335 Divisional Secretariat areas in all 25 Districts of Sri Lanka. Youth in the Age group of 18-35 years are involved in SDGYNSL
Sustainable Development Goals Children’s Parliament f Sri Lanka (SDGCPSL)
Over 5 million children are in Sri Lanka in age groups upto 18 years. This is a new process declared at the “SUNFO Global Village Ceremony” held at the Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall, Colombo Sri Lanka on 30 December, 2018.Recruting Children from District and National Level is in progress during the year 2019.
Millennium Development Goals era 2000-2015
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) were eight international development goals for the year 2015 that had been established following the Millennium Summit of the United Nations in 2000, following the adoption of the United Nations Millennium Declaration. All 191 United Nations member states at that time, and 22 international organizations, committed to help achieve the following Millennium Development Goals by 2015:
- To eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- To achieve universal primary education
- To promote gender equality and empower women
- To reduce child mortality
- To improve maternal health
- To combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
- To ensure environmental sustainability
- To develop a global partnership for development[
SUNFO led key mobilizations, training society leaders and creation of” GCAP Sri Lanka” network in March 2005 with the participation of over 500 Peoples organizations as founding partners. SUNFO associated with United Nations Millennium Campaign (UNMC) for several MDG campaigns including:
- One 100 KM Peoples Chain between Moratuwa & Colombo City
- “Stand Up” World Guinness Record against Poverty
- Initiating MDG Youth Platform in South Asia
- Training 1000 Civil Society Leaders on MDGS
POST 2015 Campaigns
Our campaign is named as “action/2015”. SUNFO coordinated” action/2015 Sri Lanka” mobilization activities with partner organizations and Society Leaders
- The Third International Conference on Financing for Development (FfD) was held on 13-16 July 2015, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Parallel to this FfD conference SUNFO joined in organizing a mobilization in the theme of ” Finance for Our Future Creating a Future Free from Poverty, Inequality and Facing Dangers of Climate Change in Negombo, Sri Lanka.Environmental protection action of cleaning plastic waste in Negombo beaches, Parade, Art competition of children, and an Assembly was held.
View All Photos
Action/2015 Sri Lanka sent Currency note and Post Card Messages to the FfD conference with the aspirations of “15 year old teens” who were born in year 2000 ; (beginning of the Millennium Development Goals era),
- Action/2015 activities in Sri Lanka by SUNFO-GCAP Lanka
- I am 15-Action 2015 in Sri Lanka
- Women action/2015 in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka-action/2015 Theme Song
- Youth & Children action/2015 Sri Lanka
- Youth action on Climate Change
- Traditional New Year-action/2015 in sri lanka
- Climate Change Youth action Workshop
- Action/2015-Unwatuna Beach in Sri Lanka
- Action/2015 SUNFO-One Singapore
- Action/2015 Kalpitiya Beach Sri Lanka
The Agenda is a commitment to eradicate poverty and achieve sustainable development by 2030 world-wide, ensuring that no one is left behind. The adoption of the 2030 Agenda was a landmark achievement, providing for a shared global vision towards sustainable development for all.
SUNFO is involved in activities to support the Agenda/2030 to archive SDGs.