A city of Peace, as officially defined by International cities of Peace, is a community that endeavors to make progress against violence and foster a culture of peace. A Culture of Peace is determined by the citizens of each community.
As a guideline, United Nations Resolution A/RES/52/13 defines a Culture of Peace as a set of values, attitudes, modes of behavior and ways of life that reject violence and prevent conflicts by tackling their root causes to solve problems through dialogue and negotiation among individuals, groups and nations.
For Peace and non-violence to prevail, we endeavor to:
- Foster a culture of peace through education
- Promote sustainable economic and social development
- Promote respect for all human rights
- Ensure equality between women and men
- Foster democratic participation
- Advance understanding, tolerance and solidarity.
- Support participatory communication and the free flow of information and knowledge
- Promote international peace and security.
In addition to the UNESCO statement on a culture of Peace, the Golden Rule (various stated including “do for others as you would have them to do for you”) provides a universal statement for compassion and respect among a community’s diverse and non-violent philosophies, religions and personnel creeds.
If you are a Citizen, Youth, Child or family living in MORATUWA please send your Name, Title (Mr./ Mrs./ Miss/ Dr./ Rev. etc.), Address, Tel., Email to join “International City of Peace – Moratuwa, Sri Lanka” initiations.
Peace Ambassador Peace Ambassador Dr. Sir Deshapriya S. Wijetunge
Moratuwa Peace City Initiator
SUNFO House, 20, Maha Vihara Road, Lakshapathiya, Moratuwa
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgMobile:+94 75 5018480
911 total views, 1 views today